The commission of inquiry investigating the mass killing in Nova Scotia that claimed 22 lives last year is delaying hearings scheduled for this month until late January.

The commission said in a statement Wednesday its team needs time to review thousands of documents and interview witnesses in preparation for the hearings.

It says new witnesses with information about the April 18-19, 2020, killings continue to come forward.

The first phase of hearings aimed at establishing what happened was to begin Oct. 26 in Halifax, but it is now scheduled to open Jan. 25 and run until March 3.

The commission, led by former Nova Scotia chief justice Michael MacDonald, says the delay will give participants more time to review the evidence and will not affect plans to submit an interim report in May and a final report by November 2022.

The RCMP have confirmed that on the night of April 18, 2020, a lone gunman set fire to several homes and killed 13 people in Portapique, N.S., before evading police and killing nine more people the next day.

MORE TOP STORIES

Source From CBC News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up for Our Newsletters

Get notified of the fresh news from Montrealecodaily.com

You May Also Like

Coronavirus: What’s happening in Canada and around the world on Friday

The latest: Denmark’s high vaccination rate has enabled the Scandinavian country to…

Coronavirus: What’s happening in Canada and around the world on Monday

The latest: The U.S. is advising its citizens to reconsider travelling to…

Zucchini noodles recalled in various provinces

A brand of zucchini noodles sold in multiple provinces is being recalled…

Boppy baby loungers recalled in U.S. and Canada due to suffocation hazard

Health Canada and the Consumer Product Safety Commission are recalling more than…