Sudbury

Thirty-nine miners who had been trapped underground in northern Ontario have now all safely made it to the surface. Vale, the company that owns the Totten Mine near Sudbury, Ont., says the rescue operation is now complete.

Last few workers who were stuck underground got to surface overnight

The Canadian Press · Posted: Sep 29, 2021 6:22 AM ET | Last Updated: September 29

Vale’s Totten Mine, seen here, is in the western reaches of Greater Sudbury. The 39 miners who had been trapped underground at the site have now all safely made it to the surface. (Erik White/CBC)

Thirty-nine miners who had been trapped underground in northern Ontario have now all safely made it to the surface.

Vale, the company that owns the Totten Mine near Sudbury, Ont., says the rescue operation is now complete.

The workers became trapped in the mine on Sunday when a scoop bucket being sent underground detached and blocked the mine shaft.

They had to scale a series of ladders to climb out of the mine and were helped along by a rescue crew.

The rescue operation began on Monday night.

Vale said the workers stayed in underground “refuge stations” and had access to food, water and medicine before climbing out.

Source From CBC News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up for Our Newsletters

Get notified of the fresh news from Montrealecodaily.com

You May Also Like

Leylah Fernandez eliminates another top 5 seed in march to U.S. Open semifinals

Comments To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will…

Coronavirus: What’s happening in Canada and around the world on Friday

The latest: Denmark’s high vaccination rate has enabled the Scandinavian country to…

Vikings Were in the Americas Exactly 1,000 Years Ago

Six decades ago, a husband-and-wife team of archaeologists discovered the remains of…

Canadian Forces to be deployed to help tackle Iqaluit’s water crisis

The Canadian Armed Forces will be stepping in to help with the…